Sung Sikyung, “I stuck a straw(?) in IU’s back” [2011.05.19]

Discussion in 'News' started by janeberryblue, May 18, 2011.

1. janeberryblue

janeberryblue Translators Staff Member

[​IMG]

Singer Sung Sikyung reveals his thoughts on the opportunity to have a duet with his junior IU.

On the episode of MBC ‘Golden Fishery – Knee-drop Guru’ which aired on the 18th, Sung Sikyung made his second appearance in the past 4 years.

After his mandatory military service, Sung Sikyung sang a duet with IU. As soon as the digital single ‘It’s You’ was released last year, the song became an instant hit. This marked a turning point in his singing career of over 10 years.

MC Kang Hodong asked “After you returned from the military, did you feel that the music scene had changed a lot?”, to which Sung Sikyung answered, “Honestly, I was uneasy because it had all changed so much.”

At Kang Hodong’s next question "So that’s why you selected IU?”, Sung Sikyung had the entire studio laughing when he answered with, “I stuck a straw in IU’s back.*” At that time, IU’s popularity was at a frenzy, to the point where she was crowned the Nation’s Little Sister.

*Translator’s Note: Sung Sikyung is playing on the words of the popular phrase ‘I stabbed someone in the back’, which means ‘to betray someone.’ But in this case, instead of ‘stabbing’ IU as a form of betrayal, he jokes that he ‘stuck a straw’ in her back in order to reap the benefits of her popularity.

Translation: janeberryblue @ WeHeartIU.com
    Source: Newsen | MDToday
    Original Articles: http://news.nate.com/view/20110519n00246 | http://news.nate.com/view/20110519n00391
  2. jmillyu

jmillyu Moderator Staff Member

lol i still think she's considered the nations little sister XD her popularity is only growing~
    IU is the perfect choice for duets, she's matched well with soo many different singers.
    :D thanks for the news~
  3. janep1122

janep1122 Hearters

haha yea
    where did 'i stuck a straw in IU's back' come from XD
    its so random lol
  4. dby

dby Hearters

yea..
    the song It's You is one of my favourite..
    i think the song suits them well..
    :D
  5. ForeverKorean92

ForeverKorean92 Hearters

Thanks for translating.. It's You is a really nice song.. I still listen to it nowadays ^^.. It is meaningful for me.. IU hwaiting ^^..
  6. jessicasantos

jessicasantos Hearters

No wonder .
    Everyone wants to have a duet with IU .
    Cause she's a good singer .
  7. pokopoky

pokopoky Hearters

IU is a good singer who everyone want to duet with her.
  8. triciastar92

triciastar92 Hearters

Thanks for this News! ^^ :lol:
  9. iu_lovers

iu_lovers Hearters

oooo...
    the song that sang together before is very good[​IMG] "it's you"
    I can't wait for the new song^____^
  10. jeffrey731

jeffrey731 Hearters

Sung Sikyung is also a very talented singer! i like his voice so much! hope that he could sings another duet with IU in the future!
  11. tacticalerror

tacticalerror Hearters

Huh ,, so many ppl want duet with IU ...
    Btw .. Thnks for sharing ^^
  12. tallpuppyboii

tallpuppyboii Hearters

What an odd metaphor o-o IU is so popular with the singers~ Everyone wants a duet, and who wouldn't? I would too! =o
  13. lyziealys

lyziealys Hearters