IU's 20th Birthday Charity Project - Delivery and Video

Discussion in 'Support and Projects' started by Matt, May 16, 2012.

1. Matt

Matt Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

IU's 20th Birthday Charity Project
    Delivery and Video

Our birthday project this year has definitely been a big success! The rice wreath was delivered to LOEN this morning. The picture below was taken and tweeted by IU herself:

[​IMG]

Our wreath is on the left. The wreath on the right was sent by iustudio.net (home of some of the best fan photographers) and LNS (Light and Salt) fancafe.

The Korean text on the main banner says "스무살의 아가수, 사랑하는 우리 아이유", which roughly translates as "To the 20-year-old young singer, our dear IU". "아가수" is a nickname given to IU by her staff, a combination of 아가 (baby) and 가수 (singer). "사랑하는 우리..." is what Koreans sing instead of "happy birthday dear..." in the Happy Birthday song.

The right ribbon says "아이유의 20번째 생일을 축하합니다", or "Happy 20th Birthday IU".

To clear up some confusion (mainly caused by misleading headlines *cough*allkpop), we did not donate the rice for IU to eat herself! We know she likes her food but I think even she would struggle to get through 516kg of rice. It will be donated to needy people in Korea - IU gets to choose the specific groups she wants to donate it to.

The Korean news media quickly reported the delivery, including the fact that we sent 516kg of rice to match her birth date of 5.16. You can see a translation of one of the news articles here.

Various members of IU's staff also discussed the deliver on Twitter, we have translated their tweets here.

Our rice wreath will stay on display at LOEN until 20 May (Sunday).

That was not the only part of our project though. You will remember a few weeks ago we asked you to submit video messages wishing IU a happy birthday. We compiled those together into this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr2couu4AO0​

The banner that was presented with the rice contained a link to this video in the form of a QR code that can be scanned by cell phones. While we don't know for sure if IU has seen the video yet, we do know from our server logs that several people at LOEN have definitely viewed it!

I want to say thank you to everyone who helped make this project happen:

• starmint for her fantastic drawing and Bananaaaa for laying out the final banner.
    • KiwiHiwi for the amazing job she did editing the video. She managed to translate my incoherent ramblings into the exact image I had in my head of how the video should look.
    • squishyblob for coming up with the Korean text for the banner and general help with planning and translation.
    • Frappeno for helping us to come up with the original idea for a rice donation.
    • Dreame, the Korean company that delivered the wreath, who followed our requests exactly.
    • Everyone who submitted a video (even if you did it at the last minute!). I hope you are happy to know that your messages have been seen by IU's staff and most likely by IU herself.
    • Everyone who submitted a banner design. We could only use one, but we appreciate all your efforts and I will send each of you a Mexicana IU diary as a thank you. I'll PM you all soon.

The goal of this project was always to make IU proud of her international fans and I'm fairly sure we've achieved this. I hope you all feel proud of yourselves too for contributing to this project. WeHeartIU would be nothing without members like you. :)

Now there's one more thing you can all do to support IU on her birthday - go and buy her new single on iTunes!
  2. Cutiegail

Cutiegail Hearters

Wow, thanks for the wonderful updates, The Fly! :)
    I felt so proud instantly when I read these news. I'm so proud to be part of WHI International Fans! *wink*
    And, it's a large rice wreath, 516 kg. But all our hard works paid off! ;)

Super thanks for the efforts of our dear staffs. You made our contribution to IU's Birthday possible!

I'm so proud to be part of WHI. IU hwaiting! :)
  3. IU.Hwaiting

IU.Hwaiting Hearters

LOL yeah allkpop and their misleading titles...
    Seriously, you guys are so awesome! I'm so happy this fandom is filled with such caring people. An artist's fans are truly a reflection of the artist themselves ^^
    Hopefully WHI will gain more awareness and more people will join as members! WHI Hwaiting!
  4. 1aegis1

1aegis1 Hearters

thanks for sharing the video.. its awesome! hope she gets to see it.. maybe someone should tweet her the link.. :p
  5. randy07

randy07 Hearters

maybe next year i will make a video hahahahaha :)
  6. davidleehk

davidleehk Hearters

thank you whi for creating this great project! <3
  7. gopperlie

gopperlie Hearters

it's amazing listening to fans all over the world wish her happy birthday in their various languages..
  8. randy07

randy07 Hearters

i hope next year WHI make it again hahahahaha :)
  9. cool_bud

cool_bud Donators

thank you for posting and sharing the video.. :)
    all the projects were done succesfully.. thank you for all the member who contributed.. it is just like a dream come true for me.. :)
  10. kingsley182

kingsley182 New Member

DAEBAK! I feel sorry that I only knew of this forum about an hour ago. I could've contributed to this. Ah well, I'll be anticipating more projects in the future :)
  11. kidousenshi

kidousenshi Donators

Yay, cool efforts by all of us! Nice to see it coming to reality!
  12. putriperms

putriperms Hearters

WHI Daebak! ^^
    but so sad that I didn't send my video. I don't know it was ok to send a simple vid,
    i thought it has to made in group, or near charateristic monuments in town so I didn't send it TT
  13. Alfie

Alfie Donators

I'm so proud of WeHeartIU staff & members, thankful to those people who helped WHI achieve it's goal...keep it up guys, let's continue to support IU.

--HWAITING!!
  14. rukia chan

rukia chan Hearters

WeheartIU staff, THANK YOU SO MUCH for you guys efforts. really proud to be one of IU international's fan
  15. ayeh

ayeh Hearters

Nice project!! Thanks for sharing it with us!!
  16. anggie24

anggie24 Hearters

wow niceeeeeeeee video ^_________________^ thanks for sharing guyssssss
  17. PeachPuppy

PeachPuppy Hearters

IU, happy birthday!
    I love our "IU fans" family so so much! We will always be here for her!
    Thank you so much WeHeartIU (staff and members) for bringing this wonderful gift to her. She really deserves it and I'm absolutely sure she is really happy.
    IU hwaiting! <3
  18. jieunism7

jieunism7 Hearters

I'm so proud to be part of this wonderful site along with loving and dedicated fans ^_^
    I hope she sees the video because its so well put together. Thank you guys for all your hard work.
    WeHeatIU Fighting :D
  19. aiyooaiyoo

aiyooaiyoo Donators

A wonderful birthday for IU and a big day for WHI and international fans! Thank you staff for organizing this great project and working hard to make it happen. There were a lot of different elements and you brought them together perfectly - the banner, the donation, the video, everything is great! Very happy to be part of this great community, all the hearters should feel proud to be part of WHI. Good job, all of us! :)
  20. laibcoms

laibcoms Hearters

And this puts us in their radar… finally. ^_^

So hello LOEN, hello IU. You have lots and lots of fans outside of CJK!! (China, Japan, Korea)