19th birthday project - Book gifts for IU

Discussion in 'Completed Projects' started by tk198, Mar 20, 2011.

?

Which book(s) do you think would be a suitable gift for IU?

1. Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini

23.7%
  2. Luna - Julie Anne Peters

11.9%
  3. The Catcher in the Rye - J. D. Salinger

13.6%
  4. Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel García Márquez

10.2%
  5. Sophie's World - Jostein Gaarder

25.4%
  6. A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson

8.5%
  7. Nineteen Eighty-Four - George Orwell

15.3%
  8. Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides

3.4%
  9. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte

11.9%
  10. To Kill A Mocking Bird - Harper Lee

33.9%
  11. All The Pretty Horses - Cormac McCarthy

1.7%
  12. A Streetcar Named Desire - Tennessee Williams

10.2%
  13. The Road Less Traveled - M Scott Peck

27.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tk198

tk198 Moderator Staff Member

It had been decided that books would be a good gift for IU, considering that her love of reading literature had been revealed in a past interview. (Interview translated here)

Both Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli and The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry have already been selected. In addition to those two titles, a list of other possible novels has been narrowed down to the 13 books listed above in the poll choices. We would like your help in selecting the other books that will be purchased for her.

You may vote for any number of books on that list that you would suggest should be bought for her. Feel free to comment on why you think any of the books would or would not be suitable. Your input is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your co-operation.

Please note: the Korean-translated versions of the books will be purchased, not the English versions.
  2. janeberryblue

janeberryblue Translators Staff Member

'thousand splendid suns' is one of my most favorite books from one of my most favorite authors. this book has it ALL-- romance, drama, comedy, tragedy-- and the political turmoil of taliban-run afghanistan as its backdrop makes this book absolutely fascinating. also, this story is from the perspectives of two women and all around, it's like the best 'girl power' book i've ever read. despite the heavy undertones, i've never read a more uplifting and powerful novel.

i also voted 'catcher in the rye' because it's like the quintessential coming-of-age story.
  3. starmint

starmint Graphic Artists Staff Member

to be honest the only book in that list that I've read is 1984, so I don't really have an opinion on the others >__< I recommend it though, the idea of a dystopian society with Big Brother was very very fascinating to me~

and so I just did a quick Wikipedia search on the rest of them and skimmed their summaries, and I like Sophie's World and The Road Less Traveled. Sophie's World because the idea of learning philosophy through anonymous means is intriguing...and The Road Less Traveled because it seems like it's full of life's values, which I think everyone can appreciate.
  4. skcereal

skcereal Hearters

I'm really surprised with the types of books you have on here. Catcher in the Rye, 1984, Kill a mocking bird, and streetcar name desire... they're all great books and I'd recommend them to anyone, but her public personality just seems so disconnect from the types of motifs and persona in these settings. To be sure, being an avid reader should indicate that shes probably not the one dimensional innocent sunny roses type of person we see most of the time, so she probably wouldn't be turned off from the dystopia/noir settings. However, if it were up to me, I would recommend little women along with Jane Eyre, perfect balance of elements, haha.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I think Joy Luck Club is pretty good, lots of elements to draw from in there, especially from a Asian female perspective.
  5. abcfsk

abcfsk Hearters

Great candidates!

Sophie's World is a very fascinating book.. maybe she's almost too old for it, but on the other hand it's a pretty 'heavy' book and I know many adults who have loved it.
  6. Celi

Celi Hearters

I have read Luna, Sophie's World, and To Kill a Mocking Bird.
    Actually Sophie's World is a really good book, but it's really philosophical so maybe it will be too heavy for IU too read since she has such a tight schedule.

Thousand Splendid Sun.. I haven't read yet but but Khaled Hosseini wrote The Kite Runner and I freaking love it.
    So I recommend Luna; that book has a beautiful meaning. It cried my eyes out LOL
    Also To Kill a Mocking Bird. Yeah, we all know why. It's great :)
  7. jieuna

jieuna Hearters

I've never read all of those books, so I google it. And I think that The road less traveled is interesting bcoz it has a lot of story and told us about life's value like what starmint said kke
  8. Chelliera

Chelliera Hearters

To Kill A Mockingbird... I'm reading it in class now xD It's really great, really recommend it :)
  9. kari8digi

kari8digi Hearters

Can we get them all... ? :3
    How much would each book be?
    We could send them in intervals throughout the year~

Oh, and Little Women is a great book. Idk if she's read it, since I read that in like 3rd grade, but it's awesome. Filled with tears, romance, and the lives of sisters :)
  10. IUwithme

IUwithme Hearters

the road less traveled or To Kill A Mocking Bird would be nice for her , i think...
    since i am the same age as her...this kind of books are really nice to read...
    and i think these books can really teach us a lot in our life...
  11. jineun

jineun Hearters

Plz not the book "TO kill A mockingbird". That is a school book and its reallly boring. The most boring book i have ever read (IMO)
  12. candy

candy Hearters

i definitely recommend Jane Eyre! such a beautiful book along with A Thousand Splendid Suns :D
    and Luna was a great and interesting read as well ^^
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.