[120425] The success of IU's Japanese promotions?

Discussion in 'News' started by squishyblob, Apr 26, 2012.

1. squishyblob

squishyblob Translators Staff Member

[​IMG]

Updates: New Japanese single in July, full-length Japanese album in later half of 2012.

Singer IU has come a long way. Since the summer of 2010, through her popularity on variety shows as well as her singing skills, she has become a hot trend in the music industry. Unhindered by the flood of girl groups, she has secured a position for herself, taking a different path from that of the girl groups. Unlike other celebrities who spread their activities worldwide, IU was active only within Korea. In March this year, she took her first step towards Japan.

Although she's the nation's little sister as well as the hot trend, it's difficult to be optimistic about the success of her Japan debut, as IU is different from those in the mainstream Kpop wave currently. KARA, SNSD and other girl groups leading the K wave at the moment, captured the attention of those overseas with their outstanding physical appearances and flashy synchronised dances. TVXQ, 2PM and other boy groups that are so-called "doing well" are also no exception.

IU has none of all these glamour on the exterior. This was also the reason she failed at the auditions of one of the biggest companies in Kpop, JYP Entertainment. The reason she was not chosen was that she "was not suitable for a company that aims to grow stars". Aware of this reality, IU's agency, LOEN Entertainment, was also concerned about the likelihood of the success of her Japanese debut.

High expectations lie with EMI Music Japan and according to a relavant party from the agency, EMI Japan sees IU as a talent that can become the next Utada Hikaru, who is also signed under EMI Music Japan.

EMI Japan plans to use IU's image in Korea just the way it is within Japan as well, judging by the fact that it has met with success in Korea. Underlying this is not only IU's own competitiveness but the Kpop wave as well, since popularity in Korea almost equates success in Japan. IU was receiving lovecalls from Japanese agencies since March 2011, including that from 4 of Japan's major music agencies. After releasing her Japanese singles in March and July 2012, there are also plans for the release of a full-length album in the later half of the year. According to LOEN PD Cho Youngcheol, "IU's success in Japan will be ascertained by a concert tour at Tokyo Arena and other large concert venues 2 years from now."

(Note: This was summarised from the original Korean article that was published in MK Luxmen April 2012 Issue no. 19)

Translation: squishyblob @ weheartiu
    Source: MK news
  2. tamtam

tamtam Hearters

nice translation (Y)
  3. InvU

InvU Uploaders Staff Member

ah she has certainly be successful in Japan :) full length album? ah will be looking forward to that at the end of the year :) Thanks for translating squishy~
  4. phoung

phoung Donators

thank you so much for translating such a long article
    I hope IU will be successful in japan. a single and a full length japanese album?
    what about korea? i hope she will release something in korea too but then it might be too tire for her.
    ehh? large concert venues? but IU likes small theater like concert better :|
  5. fyIU

fyIU Hearters

thanks for sharing xD
    good translation machine, kekeke xD
  6. squishyblob

She's releasing Korean comeback single (3 songs) in May ^^
  7. IU~KYAA

IU~KYAA Donators

=/ i dun like about how they say she "was not suitable for a company that aims to grow stars"..

OO weee jap album!~ this year is gonna be a fruitful year like always!~
  8. Steve'z

Steve'z Hearters

thanks for translating... :D , JYP Entertainment must be very dissapointed for rejecting IU hahahaha
  9. davidleehk

davidleehk Hearters

succes is good, but I just hope IU enjoys her Japan's promotions and those Japanese fans love her as we did.

full-length japanese album is really unexpected in this year, ah...

LOEN had set a 2-years plan for IU's Japan Promotion?

thanks squishy again. <3
  10. Alfie

Alfie Donators

ALL THE BEST IU!!... in 2 years time I believe I will be earning my own money and by then I'll be able to support WHI projects more effectively and donate :) that's whats really been driving me to do my best and graduate college ASAP :D

thanks for sharing :)
  11. vampireiu

vampireiu Donators

thanks for the translations squishy !! Wohoo !!! our little IU is growing big !!! next Utada Hikaru !! that is just exciting enough to hear about !!! oh~~~ I'm so excited for IU right now !!! really really proud to be a fan of hers !!! the HAPPINESS and PROUDNESS I'm feeling right now can't be put into words !!! I wish the best for IU and best for more to come in the future !!! IU Hwaiting !!! IU Daebak !!! IU Subarashii !!!!!!!!
  12. aiyooaiyoo

aiyooaiyoo Donators

Thanks always for translating, nice article. I think IU will have good success in Japan, her performances there have been very nice and her comments have been full of enthusiasm. Success and popularity are always unpredictable though, so as long as IU has a stage to perform on and is happy, I'm happy. Of course, I will always cheer her on and wish for her to be #1 everywhere always!

I notice it says there will be another Japanese single in July of 2012, do we know what single that is going to be?
  13. squishyblob

No official announcement from LOEN yet, but IU announced during her friendship showcases so far that she had the jacket photoshoot for the new single the other day (in Tokyo).
  14. wing307

wing307 Donators

uhm.... no matter what IU does, I alwasy support her, IU Hwaiting
  15. i woomira

i woomira Hearters

thank you for translation blub hhhh it was so long :sour:hock:
    IU will success in japan there's no doubt about it!!
  16. _ZH_

_ZH_ Hearters

thanks for translating~ :)
  17. bonbon

bonbon Hearters

Aiming to make my idol (IU) into the next childhood idol of mine (Utada Hikaru). Talk about epicness!!! :lol:

Thanks squishy for the hard work! 감사합니다~~ ^^
  18. yanzan92

yanzan92 Hearters

wah thanks for the marvellous translations squisy
    reading this makes me feel uneasy about her success there, really hope it will go well
    but, it may be true she's not going for superstar right away, but she's the songstress of Korea :D
    so we shouldn't be worrying whether it will be a success in a short time, but be sure that she'll be supported by her wonderful fans now and always :)
  19. gustav123

gustav123 Hearters

[quote name='Steve'z' timestamp='1335425522' post='104597']
    thanks for translating... :D , JYP Entertainment must be very dissapointed for rejecting IU hahahaha
    [/quote]
    ahahaa.. agree~! i've read if JYP said that.. :D
    IU fighting!

thank you for translating ^^
  20. platini

platini Hearters

thanks for the long translation, such great, as she said, she intended to make japanese falling in love with her day by day, just like the way she did in korea, we all love her so much now, not bc of her appearances but the truly who she is