[120119] IU comes 2nd to Super Junior for Seoul Music Awards Daesang

Discussion in 'News' started by squishyblob, Jan 19, 2012.

1. squishyblob

squishyblob Translators Staff Member

[​IMG]

The Daesang award is decided on the day of the award ceremony itself. Just like in previous years, the judging panel, consisting of 7 members, voted for the singer(s) they felt deserved to win the Daesang award. The criteria for Daesang and Bonsang awards is that the album or digital single has to be released between Jan 2011 and Dec 2011. Digital rankings and sales, mobile votes and the atmosphere of the crowd at the venue itself are all taken into consideration before making the decision.

After the 1st round of discussions, it was a close fight between Super Junior and IU. The judging panel then went through another round of intense discussions before finally deciding that Super Junior was the winner of the Daesang award.

Many of the judges expressed their reasons behind the decision, "The main topic last year was the K-wave spreading worldwide. As the forerunners of the globalisation of K-pop, Super Junior has been a big influence in the music industry. The combined sales figures of their 5th album and repackaged album also put them in the lead."

"IU's 'Good Day' was a big hit after it was released in 2010 and climbed to the peak of the music industry. In 2011, her song 'You and I' was a big hit once again and she has become a force to be reckoned with that deserves our respect." "It's just that the K-pop wave this year brought the votes slightly more towards Super Junior," they added. The majority opinion is that this year's decision was more difficult to make than in previous years.

Translation: squishyblob @ weheartiu
    Source: Sports Seoul
  2. yooshu

yooshu Hearters

i don't really like 'mr.simple' but i know suju is more popular than IU outside korea...so yeah
    it's still a great achievement for IU since the panels having a hard time on choosing between her and suju^^
    IU daebak...the best for me!
  3. boksungah

boksungah Uploaders Staff Member

Congratulations to Super Junior~ Even if IU couldn't win this one, she was obviously very happy with what she did get and I think that's what matters most. And it was even really close! I'm proud of her for doing so well--who knows, maybe next year she'll win it. :3
  4. MrsBunney

MrsBunney Hearters

hah ! what i guess was right !
    its becuz of the hallyu wave world wide that made suju wins..
    IU didnt promote her song world wide yet but still be able to battle the SUJU !!
    what a great singer is she !!!!!
    proud to be her fan !! really !!!!!!!
  5. kidousenshi

kidousenshi Donators

win any award or not, i'll still like IU and her songs!
  6. VladimirMiff

VladimirMiff Hearters

Hope IU can create another glorious year and win the Daesang :)
  7. _ZH_

_ZH_ Hearters

i'm impressed that she battled with suju for the daesang~ i mean,she's a solo singer going against a huge boy group whoa..i'm definitely proud of her~ ^^
  8. RendIU

RendIU Hearters

IU Daebak!! Our IU can compete against a huge boy group ^__^ She looks beautiful and mature with that outfit.
  9. gloaroyo

gloaroyo Hearters

Hard to choose...
  10. InvU

InvU Uploaders Staff Member

its okay. suju is 13 boys and IU is only 1 so losing and coming in 2nd is alright^^ :) if there were 13 IUs then she would win for sure~ hahas<3
  11. Loveforsoshi

Loveforsoshi Hearters

its ok placing second is already amazing especially beating out many popular groups. Next year you win for sure after your japan debut :D
  12. IU.Hwaiting

IU.Hwaiting Hearters

Wow I never knew that IU came second, that is so amazing!
    Congratulations IU! We all know how popular SJ is and how big their fanbase is, so to even challenge them... being a solo and with probably a smaller fanbase is an achievement in itself, amazing :)
    Even though you came 2nd, I'm still so so proud of IU.
    IU hwaiting!
  13. YeeKeat

YeeKeat Donators

Woah! Never knew she was second!
    This can only prove that she is getting more famous! :D
  14. tamtam

tamtam Hearters

still daebakk~~ *the other things that i wanted to say have been stated by my fellow friends here:p
  15. wing307

wing307 Donators

Though I really want IU win this deasang but 2nd is still awesome.... I think it's not too far for IU win this daesang, who know, maybe in next year. IU Fighting !!! Support you forever. I so pround to be your fan
  16. Olivia

Olivia Hearters

IU DAEBAK!!! Agree with all the fellow IU fans have said here. Let's international fans keep on supporting IU <3<3<3
  17. syilviana

syilviana Hearters

daebak....i think someday IU will win daesang ^_^.......
  18. Prissie

Prissie Hearters

congrats to iu~
  19. Miel

Miel Hearters

SUJU is pretty well known outside Korea but having her to compete against them! that's an achievement already! mayba next year, she'll win the daesang! go IU!.. :D
  20. alipentium

alipentium Hearters

IU has a really bright future. becoming second is really a good achievement.
    next time, IU will become the best claiming the daesang award