[111205] IU captures the hearts of American uncle fans

Discussion in 'News' started by squishyblob, Dec 5, 2011.

1. squishyblob

squishyblob Translators Staff Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Through sales of IU's 2nd album 'Last Fantasy' on iTunes, IU was ranked 3rd on the iTunes World Album chart. Upon receiving inquiries about promoting in the US, LOEN replies, "The US? We're still going to start from Japan..."

"While you're at it, would you consider debuting in the states as well?"

IU, who is preparing to debut in Japan next year, is receiving a lot of attention from the North American region. After releasing her 2nd regular album, without any special promotional activities and only through Youtube and other online media, it is extraordinary how Kpop fans in US and Canada have become acquainted with her music.

IU's music video for 'You and I', the title track of her album, was released on Nov 29th on Youtube and has garnered an exceptionally high number of hits in the US and Canada.

On Dec 4th, IU's "Last Fantasy" album was at 3rd position on the iTunes world album chart. Such popularity was unexpected. Over a phone conversation with IU's agency, LOEN Entertainment, it was revealed that they have been receiving persistent offers from both Korean and US concert companies that wish for IU to hold concerts or fanmeetings. Immediately after the release of her 2nd album, 4 American companies approached LOEN with such offers.

However, on LOEN's side, rather than expanding to debut elsewhere overseas, they intend to stick to their initial plan to focus on IU's Japan debut. In a phone conversation with Sports Donga on Dec 3rd, "Despite not having done any promotional activities there, the response from the US and Canada is beyond our expectations, leaving us both amazed and simply thankful". "However, IU will be taking her first step outside of Korea in January 2012 during her showcase in Japan. It still seems too early to have ambitions of debuting in the States from where we are here now."

IU will be holding her first showcase in Japan in January, hand in hand with EMI Music Japan, and also releasing her Japanese debut single in February. Currently, IU is studying Japanese diligently for her upcoming activities.

Translation: squishyblob @ weheartiu
    Source: Sports Donga
    iuvnkyo likes this.
  2. ryu

ryu Hearters

Whoa~ American samchon! XD
    Well, IU is really doing well with Last Fantasy.
    She will do well in Japan, too!
    IU hwaiting!
    Thanks Squishy~ ^_^
  3. abcfsk

abcfsk Hearters

Or maybe just fans in general.. gettign a bit tired of how the media insistently focuses on the uncle fan aspect. Like that's all she has to give, cute winks to older men. Otherwise very encouraging article of course, just seen too many headlines like that.
  4. aqsgirl

aqsgirl Hearters

Why are IU's fans perpetually labeled as Uncle fans? I'm sure there are many uncle fans, but it's really tiring to see that all the female and younger fans aren't acknowledged.
  5. yooshu

yooshu Hearters

hey...her charms worked on girl fans like me as well ok..not just samchon fans xD
    this is amazing...IU is the true K of dream high, not samdong ;p
  6. Lucian1KR

Lucian1KR Uploaders Staff Member

I agree with you.
  7. foraredrose

foraredrose New Member

That's so annoying, I'm pretty sure IU has a lot of younger fans - she's just an amazing singer! People of all ages and genders appreciate talent and hard work!!

Also, OMG if she came to America... I would go to extreme lengths to get tickets..
  8. IU.Hwaiting

IU.Hwaiting Hearters

Don't get sad guys! Everyone knows that she has fans other than uncle fans, she's loved by everyone in Korea. It's the fact that most artists in the kpop industry have strong appeals to the younger age groups whilst IU appeals to all age groups with the songs she produces. So IU has just as much young fans as do other artists, though she has a lot more uncle fans than most so that's probably why there's a bit of a focus on that Hahah
  9. Miel

Miel Hearters

wow.. it's just amazing how Americans also like her to debut there.. but everything should be taken step by step!.. maybe soon after Japan!.. kekeke~ IU hwaiting!.. :D
  10. IU_UI

IU_UI Donators

Yes it is too early for US, taking it slow is the thing to do
  11. aidz143

aidz143 Hearters

Seriously. Let IU rest for a month or so.. don't over stress her.. Comeback->rest->japan->rest->US don't do it in such a little time.. you will stress IU so much.. she even have bald spot already at such a young age... and even more.. she's skinny already.. i want the old IU back with little fats. IU fighting!
  12. 1ucky

1ucky Hearters

IU fighting!
  13. InvU

InvU Uploaders Staff Member

yesyesyesyesyes~~ come to US IU :) I'm not her samchon though :x just Oppa :p
  14. mathova

mathova Hearters

hahahaha eric must be very with this news LOL :p

I hope LOEN will notice that in Indonesia IU have a lot of fans too :)
  15. khema wijaya

khema wijaya Hearters

woow 4 companies already? o_O
    IU is receiving a lot of love from International fans recently ^_^
    I'm really happy to hear that since she said that nobody knew her during her debut days :D
    ehmm.. personally i think, it's a good idea for IU to debut in the US since IU's songs are already accepted in many countries :)
  16. yida38

yida38 Hearters

how wouldn't she attract americans.. she would practically attract all living thing that moves one day.. Ji Eun hwaiting!!!!
  17. i love iu

i love iu Hearters

wow,,,so amazing!!!
  18. steeldubu

steeldubu Hearters

IU in Japan!!! Yeah!!! I also didn't expect American will love IU since most of the time, IU's timbre is not the type to be easily liked in US. Fighting IU!!! I hope other Asian country will have the chance as well
  19. ukifumi

ukifumi Hearters

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
  20. shideyu

shideyu Hearters

wow, IU zzang!!! ranked 3rd in iTunes world alblum!!! this is realyy amazing!!!